- Mission Server Missions 1 & 2 now both have similar features which make them quite a bit more interesting for bomber pilots–while still being as interesting as ever for fighter pilots.
– Blue & Red sides each have 3 bombing objectives which, if destroyed, will turn the map. Use <obj and/or read the mission briefing for details. These are objectives that the bomber pilots will have to take out–hopefully with some fighter support.
– In each case, two of the mission objectives are dams (NEW!) and one is the fuel dump/industrial area that has previously been the focus of the campaigns & AI bomber attacks.
– Bomber-friendly airspawn & landing field: Blue & Red each have a mid-channel air spawn AND a small beachhead on the opposing side of the channel with an airport for landing & R&R. This means that bomber pilots can air spawn, bomb their objectives, and land at the beachhead airport. In short, bomber pilots can take out the Mission objectives & other targets in a somewhat reasonable amount of time and with some hope of surviving the trip and receiving a promotion.
– More POINTS & credit for things bombed: Due to quirks in CloD, previously, bombing things like fuel depots made a nice huge explosion, but did not result in any ground victory points being awarded to bomber pilots. However, a new system is in place that not only gives bomber pilots ground victory points when they hit these targets, but also VERY MUCH rewards both accuracy and thorough carpet-bombing.
For example, if you bomb a dam and destroy it now, you will probably receive 3-10 ground victory points. (Check your current points in-game using chat command <ses.) But if you really hammer the target with accuracy (all along the base for dams, make sure every fuel tank is squarely hit for depots, etc) you can get a lot more. A typical dam, for instance, has 50-100 points waiting to be collected by bomber pilots who have the nerve, patience, and accuracy.
Additionally, you can profitably do bombing runs on enemy airfields, industrial areas, fuel dumps, etc–as well as AA, ground vehicles, convoys, and so on–and rack up A LOT OF points.
– Separate life/career for bomber pilots: Remember that your life & career as a bomber pilot is completely separate (for stats/rank/promotion purposes) from your fighter pilot career. That means you can take a break and run a bomber mission to take out and objective–which, let’s be honest, is a pretty dangerous mission–without endangering your hard-won pilot career rank.
– Longer missions: 3 hour missions, giving you time to complete your bomber objectives–and do some fighter piloting in between.
All this is implemented in M001 and M002 – M003 is still in the works.
All this is just a small foretaste of some of the things Fatal is working on for the Tactical Server–mission objectives, multi-mission campaigns to take or lose land, etc.
- TWC Mission Server Objectives
- Below are some of the things now active on the mission server for both sides!
- Remember the mission server lets you practice under duress so a watchful eye or better yet a friendly fighter is always best to have with you in attacking targets of value…
- Trains, many trains, on both sides in MIssions 1 & 2 now. Trains are suitable targets for bombers OR fighters. Just find some train tracks & start following them . . .
- MANY new landscape targets in Missions 1 & 2. These are buildings etc that have always been part of the CloD landscape, but now they are bombable, they explode BIG, and they will give you many ground victory points if you hit them well.Specifically, nearly every fuel tank, large factory building, and train station in the campaign area is a bombable target that will help improve your ground victory count and advance your career. Check industrial areas and train stations of every city–Le Havre, Caen, Rouen, Querqueville, Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Southampton, London, Gravesend, Reading, Basingstoke, Petersfield, Chichester, Worthing, Hastings etc.Fuel storage tanks and train stations are pretty easy targets. Large factory buildings are a bit harder (you have to hit them JUST right, or maybe do a couple of runs to really light them up), but when you hit it right you will know, and will receive a good share of ground victory points, because these are VALUABLE targets.Most of these ‘landscape targets’ do not show with visible black dots, but require finding and seeking. If you see a large factory building, a fuel storage tank, or a train station feel free to bomb away. Soon we will post recon pictures of the area with targets in pre briefing notices.This applies to Missions 1 & 2 for now (the Gosport/Le Havre map) – Mission 3 in progress . . .
- More bombers available to Red pilots with promotions/ace level – The Blenheim is limited, particularly in that it can carry only 4 bombs. Now Red bomber pilots with some victories and/or rank can use a secret stash of BR.20s, HE111s, and even JU88s. These bombers can be key to achieving high rank as a Red bomber pilot, because they can carry up to 32 bombs and have a variety of high-tech bomb sites, allowing you to destroy more enemy targets per sortie, and allowing you to bomb from higher altitudes for greater safety.Use commands <ac and <nextac to check your available aircraft. Complete list of a/c available at each rank on the stats page.
- Routine enemy patrols of areas with bombable objects – if on a bombing mission, be sure to check your radar: Both sides now have routine patrols of all the “backcountry” areas where the bombing targets area.
- Many bug fixes – many thanks to everyone who has reported bugs on the forum or via teamspeak.
Please let me know any problems you notice.